Recommended Roofing and Flashing Materials
The world’s leading metal coating technology for enhanced service life
Safintra recommends that it supplies you with aluminium zinc coated steel, the world’s leading metal coating technology for enhanced service life.
ZincAL® is a classic unpainted AZ coated steel, and COLORPLUS® is factory pre-painted onto a ZincAL substrate. When used in the correct application, you can be sure of:
- Considerable increase in service life (due to 4 times greater corrosion resistance*)
- Superior thermal performance
- Lasting aesthetic value
- The full technical backup of a globally recognised product produced in South Africa, and locally supported
COLORPLUS® is a factory pre-painted sheet with a ZincAL® substrate, giving you all the advantages of ZincAL® performance with the option of colour for added aesthetic appeal. COLORPLUS® is an appealing option for all building applications. The technologically superior paint system has been carefully selected to endure the harsh African climate with optimal colour-coating performance.
Safintra also supplies Aluminium and Rheinzink material for specialist applications. Different materials are recommended for different environmental conditions. For inland and rural conditions, a coating of AZ 100 will offer a durable service life of 15 years and more.
- For coastline, riverine and other corrosive environments, a coating of AZ 150 is recommended. Within 1-2 kms of the coast, we recommend steel with a minimum coating of AZ 200 to endure these harsh environments.
- An alternative to AZ 200 coated steel is Aluminium. Aluminium is both lighter and softer than mild coated steel so is generally used in thicker gauges than steel.
- Rheinzink is a top-quality titanium zinc material which is maintenance-free and offers a service life of 75 years or more in all environments. The material is available in three finishes: bright rolled, "prePatina BlueGrey" and "prePatina GraphiteGrey". Safintra can roll form the Classicor® Corrugated and Saflok® 410 profiles in Rheinzink.For more information visit www.rheinzink.co.za
SupaDyma is a corrosion resistant sheet with a coating composition consisting of zinc as the main substrate, about 11% aluminium, approximately 3% magnesium and a trace about of silicon. The material is ideal for use in highly corrosive environments, including applications in alkaline environments. Please note that availability is subject to availability and manufacturer lead times may apply.
Flashings and roofing accessories:
Safintra manufactures flashings and roofing accessories in aluminium zinc coated steel, for exact colour matching to the roof, and to ensure compatibility of materials for extended service life.
Failure of the fasteners is one of the most common causes of roof failure.
For optimal performance of the roof structure, fasteners must offer a service life that is at least equal to the expected service life of the roof sheeting.
- Safintra will only recommend fasteners that carry a manufacturer’s warranty on service life and coating, and have a coating system which complies with SANS 1273 –2009 (AS 3566.2-2002)
- Only Class 3 or 4 fasteners should be used with Aluminium Zinc coated steel (unpainted or pre-painted)
- Class 4 fasteners must be used in highly corrosive conditions, and within 1-5 km of coast or rivers.
- Only use stainless steel fasteners with Aluminium roof sheeting.
Ask Safintra for technical advice on materials, applications for different environmental conditions, and the relevant warranties you may wish to request.